Friday, December 24, 2010

Crazy Train Ride

I was on a crowded train and, you know how trains in Japan are usually dead silent with very few people talking to each other and nobody talking on a cell phone, well I see one guy (who, I could tell from the twinkle in his eyes, that he wasn't exactly the orangest pumpkin in the pumpkin patch) eye me up and starts walking toward me.  When he gets about 10 feet away from me, he holds up this picture, points to a tree and shouts "WHATS THIS?"

I say "ki" (Japanese for tree) and he screams "A TREE!!" then punches me pretty hard in the arm.  At this point everyone in the train was staring at us and I try to ignore him, but 2 seconds later I hear again "WHATS THIS?" I look over and he's pointing to a cloud, I say "a cloud."  And he shouts even louder, "A CLOUD!!" then smacks me in the same exact same place.

The same thing repeats with him pointing to other random things and I just start spinning in circles so he stops punching me in the same places.  One punch lands on the other arm, another square on my chest and I finally just get up and walk to another part of the train.

Of course, he follows me and now tries to start up a conversation.  "where are you from?" He asks.  "America, how about you?"  I reply.  "OOOOHH AMERICA!!!!" he says, then throws a punch to my arm that would make Mike Tyson jealous.  So I get up and walk 5 cars down to the very back of the train.

He again follows me and this time I take the initiative, since all of his questions result in me getting whacked.  "Where are you from?" I say.  "AOMORI!!" he replies, and I see him winding up, but before he throws a punch, I say "Where in Aomori?" He responds "noheji."

At this point my heart skips a beat because that's where I live too and that means we are heading to the same spot.  Luckily I distract him tons of pointless questions for the last 10 minutes of the train ride before we finally arrive in Noheji.  I push my way through a few people and make my way to the door and it finally hits him that I'm getting off at the same stop that he is.

"OOOHHH NOHEJI MOOO" He screams, and I'm like "yep" just then the train comes to a complete stop.  I see him winding up for one last heymaker, the doors begin to open, I am the first one through the door and he still goes through with the punch, but I am out the door fast enough to dodge it.  I do my best hurried Japanese run/walk thing and haven't seen him since.

Every time I go to the grocery store I always keep an eye out for him though.

No comments:

Post a Comment