Tuesday, September 14, 2010

First Earthquake!

My first experience with an earthquake was quite the event.  I'm not gonna lie, I always wanted to feel what a real earthquake was like.  But after experiencing my first, I hope it's my last (although it won't be).

It was a 5.8 on the Richter Scale at it's epicenter and closer to a 4 or so in Noheji, but it was enough to send books flying from their shelves.  I apologize for the crappy video, but I think the lack of image stabilization on that camera adds to the earthquake experience.

In hindsight, it wasn't that bad at all, but when the entire school started shaking around me, I definitely freaked out.  I stood up right away and was about to run for the exit, but I figure my co-workers had been around plenty of earthquakes in their lives, so I just followed their lead and sat there.

So yea, that was my first earthquake, it happened right during the middle of classes.  Teachers paused for about 30 seconds while the school held on for dear life, then as soon as the shaking stopped, they went right back on with their lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment