Monday, April 2, 2012

Hakkoda



This story starts at 6 o'clock on a Saturday night.  Shimakawa sensei picks me up promptly in his awesome camper.  Syogo (his eldest son) and I immediately begin an hour long marathon of Super Mario Brothers games on our DS's.  He's good, but lets be honest, he's 11.  In our hundreds of heads-up matches, he has yet to win.

After getting a pretty bad headache from playing a DS in a bumpy car for so long, we grab some ramen and hit up a cheap onsen in Aomori City.

From Aomori city, the trek up the mountain was crazy.  The light was too dark for decent pictures, but the way back I snapped a few.  The snow is piled up very big along the sides of the road.


Reminder: In Japan you drive on the left side of the road

One course goes along the road.  Very safe

 


We arrive in the parking lot at about 10pm or so and Pre-Japan-Tom would think this would be a good time to go to sleep and rest up for the next day of snowboarding.  But no-no, this is Japan, sleeping right away is out of the question.


Starts off pretty standard.  Fried chicken and some chu-hi.


And then BAM! Giant banana boat birthday cake!  I mean, I typically hate birthdays* and never told anyone when my birthday is, yet somehow he knew and brought a cake with all the way up the mountain.  Amazing.  However, the 6 was backwards and I made it clear to him that I was unhappy with his inability to orientate the 6 correctly.  Just kidding, I was speechless.



                     Of course, in Japan you eat cake with chopsticks  :)  
           

                                                                 
Sometime during the camper festivities, Shimakawa sensei randomly mentions that his dad just bought a new car and so he had an extra car if I wanted it.  He honestly offered it as if it was no big deal.  Unfortunately I don't have a license and the license-getting procedure in Japan is long and best case scenario I would only be able to use the car for a few weeks, so I turned down the free car.   

Then for breakfast the morning before skiing he brings wasabi** from his wife's family farm and some nabeyaki udon.  He brought a portable cooker and we ate like kings.  So delicious. 


We started off in front of that blue car (the people in the blue car also spent the night in their car), but that was too far from the entrance.  So we moved to the bus parking (right picture).





So before we even set out to go skiing/snowboarding, it was already a fantastic and memorable trip.  The views from the mountain really can't be captured by words or pictures.  Let's just say we were super super lucky to go on a sunny day, the mountain is almost always cloudy and snowy with miserable winds and snow.  Not much to say about the skiing/snowboarding itself, great views and super dangerous trees/holes everywhere, it was so much fun!

I will never figure out how to get pictures on this blog to line up the way I want, so I apologize with the haphazard layout, but here are a few pics.
















 






 
 Grrrrr....This photo layout is so frustrating!! The good pictures are on Facebook anyhow so I shouldn't let the crappy layout bother me too much.  Haha I love talking to myself on this blog.

Anyhow, back to the story. 

We get done skiing and eat some delicious ramen and head to the most famous onsen in Aomori.  It's supposed to heal wounds since there's a lot of sulfur in the water, but it really just ends up smelling bad and hurting if it gets in your eyes.  Aside from that, there's nothing better than a hot bath after a workout.

Some pics from the hotel:




 I don't mean to brag or anything, but I'm pretty proud of my ability to make those two pictures show up side by side.  That is much more difficult than it looks.  The picture on the left is the unassuming entrance to the bath.  As a sign of the honesty of Japanese people, you pay 500 yen (about 6-7 dollars per person) and you're just supposed to put the money in a box there at the entrance.  Nobody standing there to check, just an honor-system entrance.  The picture on the right shows some lovely slippers lined up at the hotel.  I have come to enjoy the clean floors of Japan.

So obviously no pictures of the 100 naked guys in the the onsen, but be assured that the water felt good.  Here's the parking lot of the bathhouse and lots of snow.



We got back to his house, the eating started at about 5pm and didn't stop until about 2am.  The first course, of course, was finishing the cake from the night before,  Here you can see the banana in the middle and see it's deliciousness a little more.  At this point I was still upset about the backwards 6.











After that, the actual dinner with some healthy goodies.



And just when I thought it couldn't get any better.  Something that has never happened in my life happened.  I got a SECOND birthday cake!  I could truly have my cake and eat it too.  This time I was happy because the 6 was correctly orientated. 






Then round 4.  Left side is spicy kimchi miso udon.  Unreal.  Middle is snail, scallop semen, and scallop eggs.  Also unreal.  Right side is the man, the myth, the legend chomping down some snail.




--Note those three pictures above are lined up flawlessly in the blog editor thingy, but they show up crazy here, I'm sorry.

Breakfast the next morning, the usual rice/veggies/wasabi/meat/egg/miso soup.  Then dessert was dried wild mountain grapes from Mt. Hakkoda , yogurt, and among the best strawberries ever.  In America I'm not sure if I was unaware of multiple varieties of strawberries or if there really is just one choice, but regardless, there are several varieties in Japan, in the right side picture, the more bright red ones are a little sweeter and the more orangeish ones are more sour.  I like the variety.  After the strawberries, I finally forgave him for having the 6 backwards in birthday cake number 1.




In closing, I just want to mention that this wasn't all that unusual of a weekend.  Substitute hockey for skiing and random foods from Aomori instead of birthday cakes, and you have a very typical weekend with Shiimakawa sensei.  He really is this awesome.  Always.

Can't wait to do things like this with you folk(s?) reading this blog!

Heather has informed me that it is not obvious that I talk about the backwards 6 with lots of sarcasm and she thought I was actually mad about it.  In case any of you have a weak-sarcasm-detector like Heather, I just want to state for the record that at no point in my life was I ever upset or disappointed in the backwards 6 in birthday cake number 1.

*I'd rather celebrate times where I work hard and achieve something than celebrate the Earth returning to the same location relative to the sun as the day I was born.  But whatever.
**Don't confuse this with fake wasabi-paste.  The stuff in the jar is real wasabi.  The green paste at Japanese restaurants is just horseradish with green food coloring.

1 comment:

  1. This is an amazing story. I love your blogs. This man sounds amazing. Friends like that are hard to come by. Treasure it forever. Love you!

    ReplyDelete