Sunday, September 19, 2010

Random Differences

There are too many differences between Japanese and American culture to list them all, but the ones I find very interesting are:

1) Japanese people do not shake their head to mean "no," they wave their hand in front of their face.

2) Japanese do not point to their chest to signify "me."  They point to their nose.   When I point to my chest, my students are like "why is he pointing at his chest?" When my students point to their nose, I'm like "why are they pointing to their nose?"

3) Japanese people do not play tic-tac-toe.

4) Nor do they play paper-rock-scissors.  However, they do play a game very similar that follows the same idea called Janken.

5) Nobody knows what Starcraft is.  This makes me a little sad.

6) There are several foods that are very common in America that are not present in Japan.  Worth noting: skim milk, peanut butter and granola.  Also, your choice for cereal is: sugar flakes or cocoa flakes.

7) When Americans count with their hands, they start with a fist, and raise 1 finger, usually the pointer, then the middle finger, then the ring, then the pinky, then the thumb.  When Japanese count, they start with all five fingers extended, then fold in the pinky, then ring finger.

8) People who work in customer service are so happy.

9) In America, people extend their fingers and then clench a fist to say "bye bye"  In Japan, it means "come here."  This has probably caused a few confusing situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment