Thursday, November 4, 2010

Academic High School

On Nov 4th, I got my first taste of an academic high school in Japan.  For the record, high school is not mandatory in Japan and there are pretty much 3 classifications for high schools that students apply to; academic, technical, and low.  Noheji is a low level high school.  Now I always thought that my students were pretty good.  As 10th graders, their English is about as good as my Spanish was when I was a 12th grader, so I haven't ever really thought that my students were bad, nor have I thought they were fluent.

Then yesterday I go to Misawa High School and got my first taste of an academic school.  About 40 kids from Misawa are going to Hawaii on a school trip so I was lucky enough to be one of 5 ALTs chosen to participate in a day-long crash-course on what to expect in Hawaii.  We began the day introducing ourselves.  I did my best job to speak nice and slowly and enunciate every syllable in every word.  I began; "helllllo.mmmy......naaame..is...tooomasu.  I aam froom aaahmerikuh"  And I went on and on and was thinking I was doing a great job.

Then after our introductions, one student stood up and gave a speech in perfect American-accented English and included things like "I am speaking on behalf of our class and want to extend to you a very warm welcome to Misawa High School.  We look forward to learning all about various aspects of Hawaiian culture from you." 

I was stunned, some of the students spoke better English than me.  At first I was in charge of a little shopping skit where I gave the kids fake money and they had to buy some items.  Like 20 seconds after we began, I was walking around, putting my Hy-Vee skills to work and asking people what they would like to buy.  One girl was like, "Excuse me, this camera is broken, why does it cost $80 dollars?  Even if it worked it would only be worth about 40 bucks."  I didn't even try to answer her question, I was just like "so, are you from an English-speaking country or how do you speak so well?"  She was just like "oh I am a member of English club, I haven't been outside of Japan, Hawaii will be the first time I leave."

The whole day was filled with students who basically taught me English.  It was nice to see where all of the stereotypes come from.

Then today I am back at a my nice awesome low level school (I'm not saying that sarcastically, I actually do absolutely love it here and look forward to work every day), and I asked a student "Yesterday, what did you do?"  and he answered "I goed shopped"

No comments:

Post a Comment